Thursday, May 05, 2011

Unity Desktop Removal in Ubuntu 11.04


April 29th I upgraded my lappy to Ubuntu 11.04. Looks kind of funky. As I was way too used to the Ubuntu desktop, it seemed quite unlikely on my part to just let it go. Moreover, the upgrade was very smooth as usual, but the most uncanny thing about it was it's Unity Desktop which looks bit wayward and is set to default. It wasnt easy for me to go with it (though I tried hard to cope up and get adapted to it). Libre Office has its first release with Ubuntu 11.04. There are few more new applications like Banshee Media Player & Byobu Terminal and many more that have come bundled with 11.04.

Here are a few steps that I tried to get rid of Unity Desktop and bring back my good old Gnome.
  1. Launch the terminal from the pop-up menu that mysteriously appears from nowhere by just moving the mouse to the extreme right of the desktop
  2. Enter “$ sudo apt-get --auto-remove purge unity*
  3. Enter “$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
  4. Reboot

After rebooting the machine the system doesnt find the Unity (crappy) and hence displays a message saying the drivers not found. So it was absolutely normal for me to okay it.

And now I have got THE DESKTOP that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment